Children’s Learning and Education
Date Published: 12 December, 2016
Publisher: Sumita Mukherjee
Created by NASA STEM certified leader, Sumita Mukherjee, this book is jam packed with projects that will engage any bored child. The hands-on projects are broken into areas of practical implementation: Party, Build, Toys and Art. They have also been sorted according to levels of difficultly and STEAM relevance. Adding one or two experiments per week can get your child excited about science, inventions, science fair projects and overall classroom performance.
There is also a BONUS material list for STEAM DIY KIDS, to make it easier for parents to plan and prepare in advance.
Create a circuit on paper to light up a reindeer‛s nose!
This project is a fun way to teach kids about circuits. Copper tape is like a wire; it conducts electricity. Circuits can be designed by connecting them correctly to LEDs, battery and copper tape. This project integrates engineering with design, and aesthetics.
DIFFICULTY LEVEL: 3
ESTIMATED TIME: 30 mins
Peel and stick copper tape
1 x 3 volt coin battery size, CR2032
Art supply as desired
Stiff paper for the card
WARNING: Coin cell batteries are dangerous when swallowed.
ADULT SUPERVISION REQUIRED when experimenting with these batteries.
1) Take one coin cell battery and place it near the corner of the paper card. Fold the corner so that the paper can cover the battery.
2) Draw a circle around the battery and another one on the folded ear.
3) Take the copper tape and place it as shown. It should start from the center of the first circle and end in the second. There should be a gap to insert the LED.
4) Twist and bend the LED legs and place each leg under the copper tape as shown.
5) Place the battery on the circle and fold over the corner. Now take the binder clip and let it grab down the battery. The LED lights up!
6) Put another page over it and design it, as shown in the first picture above. You need to poke the LED through the front cover so that it sticks out. You can decorate the card as you please.
I made a reindeer’s nose shine!
Sumita Mukherjee is a NASA STEM certified leader and children’s book author. She has been fortunate enough to travel around the globe, explore many countries and meet different people. Mysteries and adventures have been captured from there in the form of Keiko and Kenzo’s travel adventure series. These books are to inspire young readers to know and appreciate various countries, develop a love for discovery and learn about the world around them. Her series of STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math) books encourages kids to invent and explore, to empower themselves and see themselves as world leaders and problem solvers. Her books celebrate diversity, spark curiosity and capture children's imaginations! Sumita currently lives in Toronto with her family.