Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Soul Redemption by Miranda Shanklin - Book Review

**I was given a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review**
**May contain spoilers for Soul Journey(Book 1)**

Soul Redemption is the second book in the Soul series by Miranda Shanklin. It picks up directly where the first book left off. Completely eases from book one into book two and goes from there.

In Soul Redemption, Annisa and her friends have defeated Rayne's father and can finally relax. The threat to them is over...at least for now. All they want to do is try to be "normal" teenagers, even though they're far from it.

Enter the Advisors, the Council's right hand man, if you will. The Advisors are a team of four adult witches who keep an eye on the goings-on of other witches and report back to the Council if they feel action needs taken. The Advisors also happen to hate the Council and want to take them out so they can gain the power and control over everyone else. Needless to say, they're not good people.

As school begins to wind down, two new students appear and Annisa and her friends are immediately on alert. Who are these two and what are they doing here at her school? Can they be trusted? Will they turn out to be friend or foe? Add to that the return of Rayne, with surprising news of her own. Can Annisa and her friends deal with the mounting pressure to do the right thing? Or will they crumble and fall?

Okay, so yet again, I really like this cover. Green is my favorite color, and I absolutely adore the font used for the titles. The covers definitely draw you in and make you want to read the series. And that's a good thing, for sure.

Anyway, there are things I both liked and disliked in Soul Redemption, but I also thought it was slightly better than the first one. The one thing that was still frustrating for me was the issues with editing. I did notice that there were still quite a few grammatical errors that I would stop to fix in my head before continuing on with the story.

I did feel like this time around, the characters were better developed. They weren't quite as...lackluster, if you will. Rayne was still my favorite character. I really enjoyed her sass. I was also glad to see a little more of the story involving the parents this time around. These characters are teenagers, and their parents should have more involvement in what goes on. Especially if their parents have knowledge and can help them with learning to control their magic and whatnot. 

Plot-wise, the story was a bit more focused on the important things that were happening around Annisa and her friends and less on the relationships. There wasn't any uncomfortable adult content in this one, and for that, I was very glad. I have nothing against adult content, but in the first book, it was a bit too much for me.

I liked the pace that the story kept, and I was able to get through it much quicker, with the exception of fixing the grammatical errors I came across. I also enjoyed the fact that there was more suspense with this one. Sure, I did feel like maybe some of the magic used was a smidge too perfect, but overall, it really was better than in the first book.

I do feel like with a bit of polishing, this entire series can be pretty darn amazing. Granted, I've only read the first two books, but they do have potential. If you're a fan of magic and witches, you should give the Soul series a whirl. I, myself, am probably going to read the other books in the series when I get the chance, but for now, they're on the back burner.

I'm giving Soul Redemption a solid 3 stars. If you'd like to check out the series, click the buy links below.

Buy Links
Amazon
Share:

0 comments:

Post a Comment